Hello guys and welcome to Blogmas Day 21. Well, it’s winter at last. Snowy, cold, and dark. While I love Christmas, I wouldn’t mind a trip to the southern hemisphere about now. 🙂 Winter brings together all of the elements that make getting out of bed in the morning an uphill battle. That isn’t exactly ideal when you’ve got to maintain focus for long periods of time, or motivate to do any type of task.
Fortunately, I’ve stumbled across a few things that counteract my hibernation instinct and generally help keep me productive during these short days. Here is a brief list of things I’ve found helpful for keeping up with it all through the cold months.
- Get as much light as possible. I try to work near a window on sunny days. When it’s overcast, or when daytime is exceptionally short (like now) I also use a lightbox. These are great for keeping energy up. If you’re interested in finding one, I’d suggest searching on Amazon. There are options at different price points and the reviews can be really helpful.
- Exercise. Days that begin with a run are by far my most productive. Indoors or out, try to get moving. It does wonders for raising your energy level!
- Eat fresh fruit and veg. I know, I know, there’s never a more tempting time of year to live off sweets than winter! But eating more fresh food/juice honestly helps to sustain energy throughout the day.
- Find a routine that works and stick with it. This holds true for staying productive throughout the year but can be particularly helpful at times when you’re fighting to keep energy up. It’s all about creating good habits.
- Get a decent amount of sleep. Too much can be as detrimental as too little (not that “too much” is ever really an option).
Speaking of sleep . . . that’s all for this winter solstice Blogmas. See you tomorrow and goodnight!